Thursday, July 5, 2007

Week 5 #10, #11, #12


Hi.

#10 This was another fun time that flew by as I explored online generators. The image you see here was created using imagechef.com. (Our school mascot is Scorpions; our colors are blue, white, and yellow.)


ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more


I also explored FD's Flickr Toys (which I had played with before), Comic Strip generator, Cooltext.com, creatingonline.com, Redkid.net, and bannerbreak.com.

#11 Web 2.o award winning site
There were so many sites to explore! It was interesting to see how many we had already explored (e.g. Flickr) or will be exploring. After having fun with Yelp (my daughter had once mentioned checking out some restaurants in Oakland with Yelp) and ColorBlender, I spent some time with Library Thing, a site which lets you catalog your personal library online. I chose to use it to catalog the books I've been reading this summer-a blend of reading for my pleasure and catching up on novels to recommend to my students next year. It makes for an odd list, to say the least! There don't seem to be too many matches with other people's lists yet.
Students might use it to track their reading during a semester or over the summer. They could write reviews of their books. They could also join a private group to share ideas about books. This could even be another option for book reports.
I used Ning to join the School Libraries group on the Library 2.0 network. I was the eleventh member to join and I immediately responded to a question that had been posted about school library websites. I have also been in touch with several other members of the group in the last couple of days. Fun and informative!

#12 I explored Rollyo and set up an account a few days ago. I created a searchroll for a Laura Ingalls Wilder unit which one of our third grade teachers does. However, I'm not thrilled with the idea of having students use this site. I set up my searchroll three different times, but each time I tested it, a link to the entire web was added. Students would be led to sites not previously vetted, negating the usefulness of Rollyo. I also didn't care for all the advertizing and the sites highlighted on the home page. The link to my searchroll is www.rollyo.com/explore. Type in Laura Ingalls Wilder and click on the searchroll created by sherryelm. While I don't think I would use it with my elementary school students I could see teachers using it to find good websites and blogs for students to use in researching various projects.


2 comments:

Nice Guy said...

I've had many days fly by exploring various generators.

More Web 2.0 onliune image makers on www.CustomSignGenerator.com.

IrmaPince said...

If you check your Rollyo on LIW you will see that it doesn't go out to the whole web, just the sites you have selected + of course the ads. I can see how this would not be good for young elem. kids as the ads would be distracting. The ads are "color coded" so maybe you could teach them to only click on the "white sites"????